You may not have had to deal with that call yet, but rest assured it’s probably going to happen. You pick up the phone, and you have a very unhappy client expressing their displeasure in your recent submission.
And the worst part about it – it’s your fault. You missed the deadline, your design didn’t incorporate their mandatories, or you got their phone number wrong on a DM – after they had given final approval.
Now the files have been shipped, the mails been sent, and the damage is done.
I’ve heard of some of the following options:
- Provide Starbucks gift card to smooth things over
- Provide a hefty discount for the current project
- Offer a heartfelt, in person, apology
- Handwritten note of apology
- Eat the cost of the project – no satisfaction, no payment expected
- Offer up your first born (my parents kept trying this, but unluckily for me, no one took them up on it!)
- Ignore it. It’s the client’s fault for not being clear enough
When it’s time to say you’re sorry, what’s worked for you in the past?